Turquoise Sewing Cabinet Turned Polka Dot Beauty


Last fall while shopping at a local thrift store,  I came across a sad little sewing cabinet.  I almost left without buying it because I couldn't see what I would do with it.  Thankfully I went with my instincts and bought it!  

A few weeks ago while I was surfing Pinterest I saw a picture of a sewing table turned drink server. I remembered I had that little sewing cabinet in my garage!  I could use it for summer parties!  My little cabinet opened up just like the one I saw in the pictures, but upon further inspection my cabinet wouldn't work the same way.  The top that opened up was tilting downward and nothing I could do fixed it.  So I went to plan B!  

I'm having a Memorial Day get together and needed a place to put my drink dispensers.  I might not be able to use the whole cabinet, but I could definitely use it for a table!  A friend of mine is also having some parties so we decided we could share the cabinet.  We talked about ideas for color and decided on turquoise. 

Here is the little sewing cabinet before.....


Pretty beat up and definitely not cute!


I had some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint left over from another project that was the perfect color turquoise.  The color is a mix of Provence and Florence.  

I had recently purchased three stencils from Cutting Edge Stencils and the Polka Dot Allover Stencil I bought was ideal for the top of the cabinet.  I painted the polka dots using Annie Sloan Cream.  Then on the front I put a little of the Cream paint in the grooves.  I topped the whole cabinet off with Annie Sloan clear wax and a bit of distressing.


Here is the little sewing cabinet after....No more ugly duckling here!!!


I can't believe this little cabinet has been sitting in my garage waiting for me to give it some love.  I wish I would have done something with it earlier because I absolutely LOVE how it turned out!!!



The Cutting Edge Stencil worked great and was super easy to use.



The little door on the front of the cabinet I decided to screw closed from the back. It wasn't sitting right and kept flying open when I moved it.  Yes, there was a Singer sewing machine inside the cabinet, but I took it out.  I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet.  It still works, but this girl doesn't sew!  Some day I will take a sewing class.







This cute little cabinet will be a perfect place to put my drink dispensers for my first 2013 summer party.  Now I need the weather to cooperate.

After my last project it was great to have a quick, easy and straight forward project!  Hoping the next one goes just as smoothly.

Thank you for reading,

Melody


Description: Turquoise Sewing Cabinet Turned Polka Dot Beauty
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 6:01 PM
TOP