Fall Mantel: Burlap and Twine


Can you guess what I'm loving right now? Things made out of burlap (think table runners, curtains, gift bags) and twine. I love the naturalness, but it has to be used in a way that's still elegant. Rustic elegance I call it. Oh and another thing I'm loving - Mason jars for drinks, baking, and decorating. 
So to bring a little more fall into our living room I sent the white starfish packing and wrapped mason jars with twine and ribbon, and used them as vases.
Next I got some burlap fabric from the craft store and made a banner. I got this idea from somewhere on Pinterest, sorry I can't remember exactly to whom I should give the credit.
Quick & easy tutorial for the burlap banner:
1/2 yard burlap from your fabric store
1 paper triangle template (just cut a triangle out of paper the size you would like your banner flags)
pinking shears (optional?)
1 permanent marker
Printed letters or images you would like on your banner
1 spool jute twine (from craft store)
large needle

Use a pencil to outline your paper triangle on your burlap. Trace as many triangles as you would like on your banner. Cut out the triangles with pinking shears so the burlap is less likely to fray (really I don't think this matters. Rustic, right?). Lay each triangle over your letters and trace with your marker. You should be able to see through the burlap.  Thread your twine through the needle and loosely weave the twine through the holes in the burlap at the top of each triangle.
Have you done any fall decorating yet? 
For more fall mantel inspiration, check out The Lettered Cottage next Tuesday the  27th. Layla is the mantel queen and is even having a fall mantel link party that's sure to be filled with creative ideas.
Description: Fall Mantel: Burlap and Twine
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 7:50 PM
TOP