matcha green tea 101 - green tea latte recipe


For years I've noticed Green Tea Lattes on the menus of fancy coffee shops, but hadn't tried one until this week. The Republic of Tea sent me a delicious package filled with a variety of matcha green teas. Unlike dried tea in bags, Matcha tea powder is ground from fine Japanese green tea leaves and dissolves right into water or milk. I forgot about its powdery form this morning when I dumped it out into my hand and subsequently the floor expecting a tea bag - you have been warned. Matcha green tea is the star of the centuries-old Japanese tea ceremony and is loved for its taste and health benefits, and I can see why. You can use it as a tea, or in cooking. Green tea ice cream, smoothies, cookies, anyone? I played it safe with a green tea latte... Matcha does contain caffeine and should not be given to kids. This is a mama only post, and let me just tell you... sometimes mama needs a little pick-me-up in the afternoons when certain 3 year olds decide not to nap for a week. Ahem, I digress... 

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed my first green tea latte, and it was so easy to make. It will definitely be replacing my morning coffee some days. A teaspoon of matcha green tea, some steamed milk, and a little sweetener is all you need. To get my green tea latte foamy on top I used a frother. I also use this fun tool for "kid cappuccinos" which are really just foamy steamed milk. 

From March 22 to March 29, my readers will receive a free electric matcha frother
with any order of U-Matcha Tea from The Republic of Tea. Just use code #MATCHA3 at checkout.

One of the things I love most about green tea is its ability to boost metabolism and protect against some diseases*. I made this refreshing and purifying iced green tea with slices of cucumber, lemon, and strawberries for you for spring. Both lemon and cucumber help detoxify our bodies, and strawberry adds antioxidants and tastes delicious. I've been keeping a jug of this tea in the fridge and sipping it whenever I need a little boost after a workout. It's like a spa water-tea hybrid. 

Which would you prefer - the latte or the fruity detox iced tea? 

Recipes after the jump... 
CONTINUE READING THIS POST »
Description: matcha green tea 101 - green tea latte recipe
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 9:47 PM
TOP