Craigslist NIghtstand Makeover....To Sell Or Not to Sell??

I mentioned in my last post about my addiction to Craigslist.  Yes, I check Craigslist every chance I get just so I don't miss out on a great deal!  A couple of weeks ago the Hubby, Hunter and I rented a Uhaul and went to an old farmhouse built in 1810 and bought a bunch of great stuff.  I had been contemplating for awhile starting a very, very, very (did I mention VERY enough) small 'business' selling refinished and painted furniture.  I wasn't sure anyone would even be interested, but I thought it was worth a shot.  So at the farmhouse I bought 2 nightstands knowing full well I didn't need them and I'd be happy to sell them.  I figured it was a very small start and a way to test the waters so to speak.  They had great bones, were solid wood and were made by Bassett....They had all the right ingredients for a great makeover!

Here are the nightstands before..
I took the hardware off before I took the picture.  They were the yucky, rusted brass plate, just like the diamond detailing and the details on the feet.


The tops were a mess as were the sides.


They were in need of lots of love.


I sanded the tops down and they were solid wood.  The wood was way too pretty to paint.


I stained the tops with a custom color.  I did 2 coats of my fav Minwax Dark Walnut and didn't think they were dark enough so then I put on 2 coats of Rustoleum Ebony.  I liked how dark the tops got, yet you can still see the grain of the wood.  Then I finished them in 3 coats of poly.  I usually wax the tops of my furniture, but since I was selling these I figured it was smart to finish them in poly.



The body of the nightstands I painted in Annie Sloan Pure White chalk paint.  I loved how the white contrasted with the dark stained tops.  Then I gave them the usual coat of clear wax, then a coat of dark wax topped off with another coat of clear wax.....hmmm no wonder my shoulder is always so sore!  That's a lot of waxing :-)  Plus a bit of distressing to bring out the character and they were done!  Oh I forgot to mention I kept the original hardware because it was so cute.  I just gave it a spray of antique bronze.  The rest of the metal pieces I just painted...yes this paint works on metal too!

Here they are.......



I apologize for the picture quality.....Andrea was on her way to look at them and I only had a few minutes to snap some quick pics.  They were in the dining room and it's not the brightest room in the house that's for sure!  Anyway, you get the idea!

I have to take a moment to be honest here....I moved these nightstands all over the house a day before trying to find a spot for them.  I was so in love with them I didn't want them to go.  I think I will do that with everything I decide to sell, but I guess that just means I put my heart and soul into each piece, right??  Or does it mean I have an unhealthy furniture addiction too??  :-)


Here you can see some of the details better.  I love how the diamond detail looks with the paint and distressing.




I think the hardware is adorable.


I looked around for baskets to put in these openings, but ran out of time.  I think they'd look perfect with the right size basket.  It's a nice spot to store things out of sight.   I forgot to take a picture of the drawers!  I painted them the same color, but lined the drawers in the cutest scented liner paper I found at Home Sense.  I liked how they turned out and will be doing that from now on.  Plus they smelled like coconut and vanilla!


My first foray into the world of selling the furniture I've redone and they sold right away!!!  The woman who bought them, Andrea, loved them as much as I do.  It made my day!  I was really nervous about this next step in my life, but now I feel ready to start the next project for sale.  Yes, I already have something waiting to be beautified and sold if I can stop doing my own projects long enough.

I hope you like the finished product as much as I do...let me know what you think.
Description: Craigslist NIghtstand Makeover....To Sell Or Not to Sell??
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 6:30 AM
TOP