Pumpkin French Macarons

Re-posts of this recipe have shown up around the blogosphere, but these are the original Pumpkin French Macarons featured on The Martha Stewart Show.  


 So you know those Hello Kitty Macarons I showed you? Well when I was piping the macaron shells I got the idea to make pumpkin shaped macarons. And I had to make them the first chance I got. I know, you're probably thinking this is too hard. You've heard everyone say how hard and temperamental macarons are and that you've got to weigh ingredients perfectly. I have to say I disagree. I always use Martha Stewart's recipe which is one of the simplest I have found, and they always have turned out perfectly. I don't even own a kitchen scale. Bakers blasphemy, I know.

 For a special fall treat I added 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice to the macaron shells and filled them with a pumpkin frosting. They tasted just like pumpkin pie. Only with the outer crunch and inner softness of a macaron.


To make the pumpkin shape, I simply piped ovals of batter and added a little "stem" to the top. I usually bake macaron shells on parchment, but was out, so I used my silpat. The silpat results in smaller "feet" on the macarons, which is not as desirable to some macaron experts :)
Once again, I brought out the food coloring pens to add some details. I used gel food coloring and a small paint brush too, but that's not necessary.   

 Add faces to make Jack-o-Lanterns if you like! Bring these to your Halloween parties and your friends will be seriously impressed. Be careful with putting them on a stick like I did in this last picture. They will slide off if the filling is not stiff enough, so I recommend using a chocolate ganache or refrigerating them.
We're breaking out the Halloween decorations today! I used the rest of the burlap from my fall decorating to make a (not too) spooky banner for our front door. I love fall. Even if it is 80 degrees here right now and my cute boots and sweaters have yet to make an appearance.

Pumpkin French Macarons
printer-friendly recipe 
makes about 15 macarons

Pumpkin Spice Macaron Shells

1 1/4 cups plus 1 teaspoon confectioners sugar
1 cup (4 ounces) finely ground sliced, blanched almonds
6 tablespoons fresh egg whites (from about 3 extra-large eggs)
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
orange gel food coloring (optional)

  1. To make the macarons: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, whisk together confectioners' sugar and ground almonds. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip egg whites with salt on medium speed until foamy. Increase speed to high and gradually add granulated sugar. Add pumpkin pie spice and a small amount of food coloring if using. Continue to whip until stiff glossy peaks form. With a rubber spatula, gently fold in the confectioners' sugar mixture until completely incorporated.
  2. Line baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Fit a pastry bag with a 3/8-inch #4 round tip, and fill with batter. Pipe 1-inch disks onto prepared baking sheets (or ovals with stems for pumpkins), leaving 2 inches between cookies. The batter will spread a little. Let stand at room temperature until dry, and a soft skin forms on the tops of the macarons and the shiny surface turns dull, about 15 minutes.
  3. Bake, with the door of the oven slightly ajar, until the surface of the macarons is completely dry, about 15 minutes. Remove baking sheet to a wire rack and let the macarons cool completely on the baking sheet. Gently peel off the parchment. Their tops are easily crushed, so take care when removing the macarons from the parchment. Use immediately or store in an airtight container, refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 1 month.
Adapted from Martha Stewart

 Pumpkin Frosting Filling
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup pumpkin purĆ©e
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
3 cups confectioners sugar, sifted

Beat all ingredients  until smooth. 


Description: Pumpkin French Macarons
Rating: 4.5
Reviewed by: Unknown
On: 3:03 PM
TOP